Friday, May 21, 2010

May 23rd is World Turtle Day

I found this picture on Digg about a year ago, and I loved the turtle's attitude, so I saved it.  As luck would have it, Sunday is World Turtle Day, which provides the perfect excuse to trot it out and enjoy this adorable turtle again.

World Turtle Day was first celebrated in 2000 by the American Tortoise Rescue, a rescue organization specializing in tortoises and turtles that started in 1990 in Malibu.  May 23rd is recognized worldwide as World Turtle Day, except in Hawaii, where it is known as Sea Turtle Day.

There are more than 2 million pet turtles in the United States, making them far and away the most popular reptile owned as a pet. Unfortunately, they are not so easy to care for, and many of them die because their owners do not care for them properly. I had several turtles when I was a little girl, of the same general type as the little guy in the photo. They didn't last very long, not because I deliberately mistreated them, but because I didn't have a clue how to take care of them.  I did know they enjoyed lettuce

I also didn't know they carry Salmonella that can be passed to humans. Ugh.

Anyway, there are a number of events and activities pertaining to World Turtle Day that will be informative and enjoyable for homeschooled students - indeed, any student or any person who cares about turtles and wants to know more about the challenges they face to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment