Tuesday's Moms In the Right article issues a warning about the danger to our parental rights posed by the likelihood of a huge push by the Obama administration to ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) treaty. The appointment of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State has particular import for this treaty, as it was her husband who was in office when it was first signed, and it was her goal to see it ratified. As Secretary of State, she would have direct control over the submission of this treaty to the Senate.
What could possibly be bad about Children's Rights?
From the website at ParentalRights.org, here are 10 things you should know about how this treaty will affect YOUR family.
1. Parents would no longer be able to administer reasonable spankings to their children.
2. A murderer aged 17 years, 11 months and 29 days at the time of his crime could no longer be sentenced to life in prison.
3. Children would have the ability to choose their own religion while parents would only have the authority to give their children advice about religion.
4. The best interest of the child principle would give the government the ability to override every decision made by every parent if a government worker disagreed with the parent’s decision.
5. A child’s “right to be heard” would allow him (or her) to seek governmental review of every parental decision with which the child disagreed.
6. According to existing interpretation, it would be illegal for a nation to spend more on national defense than it does on children’s welfare.
7. Children would acquire a legally enforceable right to leisure.
8. Teaching children about Christianity in schools has been held to be out of compliance with the CRC.
9. Allowing parents to opt their children out of sex education has been held to be out of compliance with the CRC.
10. Children would have the right to reproductive health information and services, including abortions, without parental knowledge or consent.